WHAT WE DO AND WHY WE DO IT
We craft ales and lagers with an emphasis on controlling the raw materials furthering the expression of a time, place and the people that make it happen. The best beers are always crafted while including the community. The Napa Valley is an incredible place that inspires us to grow, ferment and create: wine, food and beer! We have an endless number of skilled farmers, viticulturists, and just fun people to work with that love the dirt. At the end of the day, beer is kind of like people...we are distinctive, complex, diversified, and prone to be interpreted in many different ways.
HOW WE DO IT
- Napa Valley sourced waters from local reservoirs, artesian springs and aquifers using our Mad Fritz Sprinter Van.
- We use only Single variety barleys that are craft-malted to our specs.
- Our Malt-House began malting our own local barleys in 2016 using the classic 'floor-malting' technique as well as low temperature kilning to preserve grain variety and site character.
- Locally grown hops and barleys that are farmed using organic and biodynamic principles
- Our knowledge of fermentation and aging in barrels (elevage) to express nuance rather than overt styling.
- Our combined experience in winemaking and brewing offers a unique landscape from where we can grow, malt, brew and age beers with a sense of place and personality.
WHAT'S IN A NAME?
Mad Fritz is a mix of our two children’s names Madeleine (Maddie) and Frederick (Fritz)